- For evaluators’ eyes only (21/07/2018)
- Reconciliation Week and findings from an Aboriginal health evaluation (04/06/2016)
- Evaluation amidst complexity: 8 questions evaluators should ask (04/12/2015)
- To count or not to count: Australian population data (20/02/2015)
- My pick of readings on scaling up health interventions amid complexity (12/12/2014)
Small businesses and the Internet
Thursday, 1st November
Our survey of Geraldton residents found that using the Internet at work predicted a greater confidence and use of the Internet at home. Strategies to get businesses and government services online will help their employees. At about the same time we were sending out Living in a Digital Geraldton, a national survey of businesses was underway. The Sensis Business Index survey found that small and medium businesses have been steadily increasing their online presence since 2001, but a large proportion were still not trading online and were reluctant to do so. Concerns about cyber safety and lack of technical skills topped the reasons for not wanting to offer products and services online. For more information see a post by Tim Mazzarol – it has a link to the full Sensis report.
I wonder what proportion of Geraldton and other regional businesses are involved in eCommerce and what barriers they face to increasing their use of the Internet? We know about the problems with the availability and speed of Internet connections, but what else do they need?